Oddisee, “I’m From PG”

OddiseeEvery day, Magnifier selects key tracks from the most innovative and exciting artists for our Song of the Day. All the music on Magnifier can be added to your Music Beta library for free.

“I’m from PG” is Oddisee's affectionate homage to his native Prince George’s County, Maryland, and that bit of biographical detail is a necessity given his relative obscurity. Despite a productive work schedule that includes two solo albums in 2011 (including the just-released Rock Creek Park), the rapper-producer is often overlooked by rap fans or dismissed as a Madlib copycat. Yes, Oddisee plumbs the lo-fi, rare groove aesthetic associated with that legendary underground hip-hop producer, but his production style is noticeably different because he focuses on grooves and loops rather than quirky samples and vocal chops. He doesn’t rap often, and most of his most recent album, Odd Seasons, consists of intricately detailed instrumentals with light and melancholic hooks. But he has a message on “I’m From PG”: “I’m from PG/ I rep DMV/ I step easily/ Now who’s seeing me/ No one.” -- Mosi Reeves

"I'm From PG" Oddisee

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Having trouble? Visit Music Help.